Another road trip … this one was completely spur of the moment. We got a text from the House of Walters asking us if we wanted to go with them. We were on the fence for a bit about going because we just got back from a long road trip from Chicago and David was still not feeling well (he got sick from someone at jury duty). We decided to let David rest for another day and meet them down there. We loaded up the Jeep, dropped the pup off at daycare, and hit the road.
The first night we got there we went to eat at this restaurant called Magnolia. Mark and Jennifer were celebrating their wedding anniversary and their gift was a fussy Miles that night! As soon as we got inside the restaurant he started crying … when either Jennifer or Mark would take him outside he'd stop … then when they'd come back in, he'd start up again. I was watching how they were handling the situation, as I knew at some point this would happen to us too. They ended up eating their dinner in shifts and luckily patrons at the restaurant were understanding and even befriended the Walters crew. Day two was spent meandering the streets of downtown Charleston walking, snapping pictures, eating Tacos, and shopping (Of course Mark had to stop at the Apple store). Remember that scene from Pretty Woman when Julia walks into a boutique shop looking for a conservative dress to wear to dinner and the employees tells Julia "I don't think we have anything in your size" and these clothes are "very expensive". Well, I had almost that same experience … I walked into a boutique shop and both women that worked there looked up at me, looked at Koa, then looked at each other, then went back to what they were doing. I was the only customer in the store and they didn't even say Hi or acknowledge me … instead just looked at me with those eyes … you know what eyes I'm talking about. Anyway, so I just walked out and wished them a good day. We found this yummy BBQ and Tacos place and it just so happened to be Taco Tuesday! We ordered catfish tacos … yummy!!! After a long day of walking and taking pictures we went back to the hotel to rest before we went back out for sushi dinner … another yummy meal, at least for David and everyone else. I ordered this curry that was just way too spicy for my taste … but that's okay, I got to take nibbles off of David's sushi. The next day we were heading home but not before going to the beach and plantations to take more pictures. I had read earlier that morning that one of my favorite authors, Edgar Allen Poe, was stationed there in 1827 and there is a restaurant located not far from where we were staying that celebrates Poe's life and works with burgers named after his short stories and poems. Of course we went there for lunch! David ordered the Tell-Tale Heart, I got the Amontillado, Jennifer ordered the Gold-Bug, and Mark ordered the Hop-Frog. Fun good eatin'! We made it home that night, fed the little man, then went to bed … another good trip, until David woke up the next morning with a real bad sore throat …
Charleston is such a beautiful city, especially if you are a history buff. Mark was giving us pointers on how to use our new camera and we got some real nice pictures :) … nothing compared to the scenic shots that Mark took (you can check his out here).
Beef of the trip: not one place we went to had a changing table in the bathroom … what's up with that … not even a McDonalds!!
View pics from our Charleston trip here
Friday, February 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment